The classical writings of His Holiness the 14th Dalai Lama: Teachings, lectures, speeches, messages, and literary works since 1954.
We, the Educational Development Committee of Namgyal Tantric College, are compiling a full catalogue of all the teachings, lectures, speeches, messages, and literary works of His Holiness the 14th Dalai Lama, since 1954. This project was initiated in 2008 and we expect it to take many more years to complete. In order to accomplish our project we require trained staff, namely a transcriber, a proofreader, an editor, and a translator for the duration. Therefore, we are aiming to raise approximately 5,000,000 INR ($93,000 US) and are seeking financial assistance.
Who are we?
Namgyal Tantric College, which is more commonly known as Namgyal Monastery, is the personal monastery of His Holiness the Dalai Lama. The monastery is a charitable organization registered in India under the Societies Registration Act XXI 1860. It has been working for young Tibetan monks in the hope of ensuring the survival of the unique Tibetan traditional Buddhist studies and practices. The monastery was founded by His Holiness the second Dalai Lama Gedun Gyatso (1440-1480) to assist him in carrying out his religious activities and to serve humanity.
At present, the monastery has nearly two hundred monks, and of these the younger monks are engaged in the study of the major texts of Buddhist Sutra and Tantra, while at the same time pursuing modern studies. The monastery provides free accommodation and food as well as education to all of the monks.
Over the years, His Holiness the Dalai Lama has made a tremendous contribution with his compassionate teachings and unfathomable acts of wisdom, which have touched the hearts of millions around the world. Original manuscripts of his profound teachings, lectures, speeches, messages and literary works are very rare. They are priceless, precious, and hold great potential to benefit communities around the world. Unfortunately, in many cases, these manuscripts are being held in poor facilities, by individuals, establishments and governments who have been unable to provide the care and attention that they require. Their true worth and value has not always been appreciated or acknowledged. It has been hard to find enough scholars willing to undertake the essential task of compiling, printing, and publishing these works. Having taken all of these concerns into consideration, in 2008 the Educational Committee of Namgyal Monastery launched its first project: that of compiling the classical writings of His Holiness the 14th Dalai Lama. Our main objective was to preserve all of his deeply profound and priceless works. The committee started this project, with a great sense of responsibility, by gathering related materials from all corners of the world.
Since 2008, we have contacted many well-known scholars, governments, private institutions and departments, various libraries, research centers, publishers, and related information centers, and have successfully collected a large number of authentic materials in both printed media and audio records. Everything we have collated has been archived and is in the process of being translated and published.
Where we are now
As of now, the project is only in its initial phase and it will take a lot more time to realize our objective. Many of the teachings and works of His Holiness have been preserved in languages other than Tibetan, such as English and Chinese. Consequently, they need to be translated into Tibetan and vice versa — in this way we can benefit everyone equally. We feel that it is of the utmost importance that we firstly complete the translation of all foreign writings into Tibetan so as to have a full compilation of His Holiness’ works in our native language.
In the past five years we have been able to find, collect, and input some very rare original manuscripts. So far, we have successfully published nineteen books in Tibetan on various topics, along with audio recordings on CD and have made them available to the public. One of the books, a collection of the 10th March statements of His Holiness the Dalai Lama from 1960 to 2008, was published in 2009 to commemorate the 50th anniversary of the 10th March Uprising. Another three books already published contain general introductions to Buddhism, given specifically since 2007 to Tibetan students at TCV. We have distributed these books freely to both students and the general public. This year, we are working on publishing more books and are hopefully going to release them on the special occasion of His Holiness’ birthday in July. For publication at a future date, we are now organizing His Holiness’ teachings into categories for compiling into Ka-bhum (compilation of classical writings).
Please see the Appendix below for the topics and collections that we intend to compile.
In order for this tremendous project to succeed there are four main requirements;
These four are an indispensable prerequisite. In addition, we will need staff to locate original manuscripts. As it is difficult to get suitable volunteers, staff will need to be hired and salaries paid. Skilled proofreaders are rare, and professional translators command high fees. There are also the publishing costs to take into consideration. Hence, in order to run this project well we need sufficient capital. As the personal monastery of His Holiness the 14th Dalai Lama, Namgyal Monastery has a special responsibility for implementing this project. Unfortunately, the Education Development Committee of the monastery has a limited budget; hence we face a very real challenge in running this project smoothly when we do not have the necessary financial resources.
And finally …
The Education Development Committee of Namgyal Monastery and its members are wholeheartedly dedicated to this great project. We are determined to give our best effort and are well prepared for any hardships and obstacles that we might confront in the process of this project. Yet, for all our sincerity and courage, we cannot do anything without proper financial support. Therefore, we are aiming to raise approximately 5,000,000 INR ($93,000 US). We would be most grateful for all and any contributions that we receive. We would like to dedicate all the merits gained from your generosity for the happiness and peace of all sentient beings
These are the topics and collections that we plan to compile:
- Prayers and invocations
- Invocation prayers for the swift return of different high lamas’ reincarnations
- Commentaries made on various books
- Political speeches
- 10th March statements
- Advice and lectures on various topics
- Various teachings on Buddhism.
- Lectures given at various conferences on Science and Buddhism
- Speeches on the ethics of Doe-gyal
- Lectures given to the students of various schools on education
- Speeches and lectures given to both government and private organizations
- Speeches addressed to foreigners
- Interviews with various journalists
- Speeches given to professionals
- Speeches given at the inaugurations of monasteries and departments
- Speeches given on ethics to Tibetans
- Speeches on educational development
- Speeches given on future responsibilities
- Speeches given on environmental protection in the world generally, and specifically on the environment of Tibet
- Advice given on harmony between religions
- Speeches given on world peace
- Speeches given on the problems between Tibet and China
- Speeches given on communism
- Speeches given for the leaders of various countries
- Speeches given for Tibetans from Tibet who have come to India to visit their relatives
- Speeches addressed to graduation audiences
- Speeches addressed to various foreign parliaments
- Speeches concerning human rights
- Speeches given during the long life prayer ceremonies
- Speeches given on universal responsibility
- Speeches concerning the major responsibility of women
- Speeches given on the Middle Way approach and non- violence
- Speeches given on the promotion of moral values for mankind
- Speeches given at various study and retreat centers
- Speeches given on the Tibetan science of healing
- Speeches given on educational guidance for Tibetan schools
- Speeches given on the solution of Tibet/China issue
- Speeches given on the pricelessness of old traditions and modern education
- Speeches given on Tibet, both general and particular
- The special speeches given at the official functions on 10th March
- Speeches given on the relationship between the secular and religion, and how they can be combined
- Speeches given on the future reincarnation of the Dalai Lamas of Tibet
- Speeches given on Bhikkshuni ordination
This list comprises the major topics, but of course, there will be many more, and everything will be indexed.
How to contribute
Receipts will be issued for all donations received.
Via bank transfer
- State Bank of India
- A/c Holder: Namgyal Tantric College
- A/c No: 10219816675
- Bank Code: 4250
- Swift Code: SBI NIN BB 676
Made payable to Namgyal Tantric College.
Our contact details
Namgyal Monastery Educational Development Committee
c/o Namgyal Monastery
P.O. McLeod Ganj, Dharamshala, Distt. Kangra, H.P. 176 219 India
Phone: +91 92184 14777 / 92184 15777 / 221492
Email: [email protected]l.com